Monday, February 15, 2010

Bioshock 2



Let me spin you a tale of a lack of foresight, a bet, and how I scored the collectors edition of this game for freesies. It was January 2009, after a workout at the local gym Tyler Cote and myself would rest our tired muscles in the hot tub. At this time Bioshock 2 had been announced for fall 2009 and we discussed how much the first one rocked. Then came the topic of what this one would be like. I believed that the game would have to take place back in Rapture, why would 2K Games get rid of the best world that video gaming has ever seen? Tyler looked at the issue in a chronological way and claimed that the story does not support a return to the city because it simply does not make sense. We both argued for a while and became irritated at each other belei-knowing that our case was the strongest. So a wager was created. If BS2 was indeed not in Rapture, then I would have to buy Tyler a copy of the special edition of the game. If it did take place back in the infamous city, then I would get the prize. As you can figure out, I won the bet and await my payment.



That's what $125.00 of win looks like


When I heard about a sequel to the 2007 game of the year I got.....worried. How can anyone top the masterpiece that was Bioshock. I mean, the story was beautifully constructed. The "Would you kindly" moment fucked with my head so hard I needed aspirin immediately. And I heard this thing about multiplayer too? I got really worried then. I got visions of a shoveled-in shitty singleplayer campaign with a mediocre multiplayer. It seemed like the only thing 2K cared about was appealing to the mass market instead of making the quality game that everyone wants. Then I played it.

Let me begin by saying that Rapture is the best setting for anything EVER. The 1950's underwater dystopia setting is simply awe-inspiring. from the bowels of the maintenance levels to Fontaines' Futuristics, everything has a stunning design and a wonderfully blended colour palette of dark shades and neon brights. Rapture is a pure joy to visit in all its creepy glory. BS2 brings a lot more to the table with an amusement park/propaganda machine, among many other memorable and unique places that will make you love Rapture even more.


Its colourfully dark, falling apart and underwater. I freaking LOVE this place


In BS2 the player takes on the role of a Big Daddy. At first it seems cool, because it is. Every footstep is a loud "thump!", a quick turn of the head sways the helmet, and taking damage is responded by an unearthly muffled moan. But perhaps the one thing that sells the fact of your identity is the occasional shadow that that forces you to say "shit, that's me!". The best part about being a Big Daddy has to be the weapons. Everything gets more badass with every pickup. A rivet gun, 50cal Machine gun, harpoon gun, etc. But nothing compares to the drill. Oh man, this baby equipped with the drill dash upgrade turns simple kills into muderboners. The combat flows like oil on silk during the ADAM gather missions. Using an adopted little sister the player seeks out bodies filled with the desired goo and protects her from constant splicer attack until she gets enough. With ADAM, the game changing plasmids can be purchased. The classic plasmids like elecro bolt and incinerate return in a big way with a charge-up ability and even a continuous stream allowing the player to flame-throw enemies or force lightning the shit out of them. There's a ton of new plasmids and gene tonics that mix up the combat as well. I always joked about the challenges in Modern Warfare 2 "what's next, have an out-of-body experience and kill someone?" you can do that in BS2, 'nuff said.


Incredible plasmids and weapons at the same time against enemies, BS2 provides stunning gameplay


I had a lot of fun playing, but the combat wasn't the reason why. I love a good story and Bioshock was one of the best. BS2 did it again. The characters are quite real, human and believable. They are damaged people living in a damaged world, and almost all of them already have an opinion about you. You may not remember what you did and are, but the citizens of Rapture certainly do. Some pity you, some created you, some want nothing more than for you to have your suit cracked open and sucked out by a giant squid. But because of this there is a genuine desire to figure what happened. Every recording is gold and you scramble for it like a splicer to ADAM. but no one hates and knows more about you than Sofia Lamb. Who much like Andrew Ryan, is a tragically fascinating character whom you have more connected to her than you know. BS2 story becomes much more personal and dare I say it, better? Now if you've played the first Bioshock you will be of course expecting twists, I will say nothing except keep your heads up, cause you won't want to blink when it happens. Also 4 different endings! That's it, I say no more.

Any good part of a game is enemies, and what could possibly take on a Big Daddy and expect to survive? Well it has been some time since the last game so the splicers are hardened, and there are some mutated ones as big as a bear, the spider splicers are much more fucked up too. Oh, did I forget to mention the Big Sisters?


This is one crazy bitch


This is fear manifested into flesh and steel. Every once in a while during the game after some ADAM gathering mission or whenever the bitch feels like it really, she lets out an ear bleeding scream to alert to player of her approach. Let me give you a play-by-play of myself when I hear this scream. I immediately panic, muttering "fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck" while frantically checking my health, ammo and EVE supply. This is usually followed by crying when I cannot get to a vending machine or don't have enough money to resupply. Then she violently appears and proceeds to kick my ass. She's fast, strong and mean. She knows it, and she wants you to know it by the most painful means possible.

"Hows the multiplayer?" you ask? Go ask someone who's gives a shit. I wanted this game for one reason only and thats to be absorbed into this fantastic world. I don't need any multiplayer to justify getting this. But The multiplayer is set during the civil war where everyone was running around with plasmids killing each other back when Rapture was beautiful. So that at least is something to look forward to. But the number 1 problem most multiplayer games have nowadays is that they aren't Modern Warfare 2, or Halo. This will last for a month at best and then the servers will be empty. Bioshock 2 will not be remembered for its multiplayer, but its amazing combat, diverse enemies and characters as well as one of the most emotionally attaching stories in gaming. This is the best game I have played of 2010, and I think it will be hard to beat.


+ The story is balls to the wall awesome

+ The combat is just as good, way better than the last BS

+ Hacking has received a much wanted upgrade

+ Rapture, I swear to Christ if they made a game where all I did was explore, with no shooting or anything, just looking around, I would buy it

- The multiplayer, all I can say is thank god it didn't take away from the single player

? I miss Andrew Ryan. "A man choooooooses.......... A slaaaave OBBBBEYYYS!!!!"


MY RATING: 10/10




No comments:

Post a Comment