Sunday, November 22, 2009

CD of the week.

The Shanks
The Dark Richard Show
2009




Let me first apologize for the two day delay, my bad guys, but I'm doing it now instead of my two design projects that are due tomorow morning.

This CD fell into my lap this week quite unexpectedly, I was hanging out visiting my mom before she goes to Thailand for 5-6 months, we went to a bar in Guelph hopeing to catch a show by "The Wooden Sky." As we finished our first beer the bartender informed my mother that the band wouldn't be going on until 12, a good 4 hours from then and well past her bed time. We ordered a couple more beers and decided we didn't want to pay the $8 cover to see the other bands that were playing, kinda shitty I didn't get to review a live show this week instead but oh well. So when we got home she tossed me the CD I am now listening to, saying that "a family friend's daughter's band (Machettes) had open for this band but it wasn't really her kind of music, did I want it?" I previewed a few tracks and decided "Yes, I will keep this album. Thanks mom!"

I had never heard of this band until then. I am now listening to the two piece band and I have to admit at first it was a bit underwhelming, nothing too special. But now I can see the merit in their music and I am getting a feel for it and I changed my mind, this band is special. The drums, guitar and vocals go together in much the same way DFA's music sounded, but it doesn't quite accomplish the gritty and booming sound that only DFA can pull off. Instead the band has saturated their songs with clever melodys and pop influenced leads that make the songs sound big. But on the same note the songs gave me the feeling of a sort of emptiness, like something was missing. On parts of the CD there is a strings section that they put in, it helps a bit to fill out the songs. My favourite tracks from The Dark Richard Show are track 1: Bastion of Sebastion, track 2: The Undefeated Donkey and track 6: Napoleonic Dread Pt. 1.

Track List.
1. Bastion of Sebastion
2. The Undefeated Donkey
3. Killing Tune
4. Mirror, Mirror
5. Jesus, Make it Fun
6. Napoleonic Dread Pt. 1
7. The Matador
8. Christmas Star
9. Start Taking You Home

The Dufferan based band has a show coming up on December 15th at the Horseshoe in Toronto, go pick up their CD and catch an awesome show.

www.myspace.com/herecometheshanks

Peace and Love
Joey

1 comment: