Sunday, November 8, 2009

CD of the week

Port O'Brien
All We Could Do Was Sing
Self-Released May 13, 2008






Tap Tap Tap Tap! As track one begins to play I can't help but to tap my thumbs and my feet it time with the steady percussion section (drum set with an ensemble of pots and pans.) Based on first impressions alone I am already in love with this band. "I Woke Up Today" (the title track) is fun and easy to sing along with and it is one of those songs that will get stuck in your head in a very non-intrusive way. Expect to be humming its joyful melody for the rest of the day.


Port O'Brien has done an amazing job writing songs are both pleasing to and to play. The levels of the songs on this album compliment each other and flow nicely allowing for breaks in between high energy songs and slow grooves. The guitar, banjo, violin, bass and drums work together very well and lay the foundation for the awesome songs on this CD and the clear vocals chime out with a folksy and whimsical intensity that is east to listen to. The band frequently jam on certain songs and really bring up the pace and viscosity, if you will, before breaking back into a chorus or verse (the best example: Pigeonhole)

The album ends on a peaceful and short sort of sea shanty that slowly rocks and waves to a silent close.

Track List.
1. I woke up today
2. Stuck on a boat
3. Fisherman's son
4. Don't take my advice
5. Alive for nothing
6. Pigeonhole
7. Will you be there?
8. The rooftop song
9. In vino veritas
10. Close the lid
11. Valdez

My copy has no album art but the cover I found online is beautiful. Port O'Brien has a very distinct style that sets them apart from other bands like them. Instead of explaining it I'll show you with this delightful music video.

- "I woke up today" music video
The Indie/Folk band comes from California and has a definite west coast sound. They are currently doing shows in there home state in preparation for their Euro Tour starting November 20Th, 2009. If you ever get a chance to see them live DO IT, you won't be disappointed.


I highly suggest getting this album as well as checking out their latest album "Threadbare" released in October of this year.

Check them out at www.portobrien.com or www.myspace.com/portobrien

Peace and love
Joey

1 comment: